- 80 g water
- 80 g milk
- 30 g plain flour
- 90 g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
- 170 g milk
- 2 eggs
- 10 g dried instant yeast
- 500 g baker’s flour, plus extra to dust
- 30 g milk powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 250 g brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cloves (optional)
- 150 g unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces
- 120 g caster sugar
- 60 g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
- 60 g cream cheese, softened
- ½ tsp natural vanilla extract (optional)
- 20 g milk
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
- baker’s flour, to dust
- Place water, milk and flour into mixing bowl and cook 3 min/80°C/speed 3. Allow to cool in the mixing bowl (approx. 10 minutes).
- Lightly grease a large bowl and set aside.
- Add milk, eggs, yeast and butter into mixing bowl and mix 20 sec/speed 4.
- Add flour, milk powder and salt and knead Dough /3 min 50 sec, until smooth, elastic and a little sticky. Place on a silicone bread mat or a lightly floured work surface and form into a ball. Place in prepared bowl and cover, then set aside in a warm place to double in size (approx. 45 minutes – see Tips). Meanwhile, continue with the recipe.
- Place all filling ingredients into mixing bowl and mix 40 sec/speed 4, until combined. Place in a bowl and set aside. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Place sugar into mixing bowl and mill 10 sec/speed 10.
- Add all remaining icing ingredients and mix 30 sec/speed 4. Place in a bowl and set aside. Then, grease a baking tray (25 x 35 cm) and set aside.
- Place dough onto a well floured silicone bread mat or work surface, then gently knock down and roll into a flat rectangle (50 x 40 x 1 cm), dusting with flour to prevent the dough from sticking. Dot the dough with the reserved filling and evenly spread over the surface, then roll into a log shape starting from the shortest edge.
- With the seam side down, mark 12 x 3-4 cm slices, then carefully cut into buns (see Tips). Place on the prepared baking tray, leaving approx. 1 cm gap between each bun. Cover and leave to prove for 60-90 minutes or until buns are very puffy and touching each other.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Bake buns for 25 minutes (180°C) until golden on the surface. Place on a wire rack to cool slightly, then, if serving immediately, spread icing over each bun and serve warm. See Tips for storage instructions if not serving immediately.